Many people have misguided views regarding the concepts of our Deen/Way of Life. All these wrong concepts occur due to lack of knowledge of the Book of Allah. Allah has always asked us “to ponder over Quran’s Ayats” and not just follow the opinions of others regarding the Book.
038:029 “A Book We sent down upon you, which is blessed, so that they ponder over its Ayats and so that the people of understanding may take remembrance.”
If we ponder over the Ayats of Allah with devotion and sincerity, Allah will give us the right knowledge of the Book without any crookedness.
008:029 “O you who believe! If you take guard against evil for Allah, He will develop for you a criterion (clear discernment between right and wrong) and shall remove from you your sins and shall forgive you. And Allah is the possessor of Great Bounty.”
• And further Allah is so clearly telling us that if we follow a group of people who have been given the Book, Quran, they will mislead us from the path of Allah and then we can become rejecters and then there will be no helper for us against Him.
003:100 “O you who believe! If you follow a group of those who have been given the Book, they might turn you back as rejecters after you have chosen to acknowledge the truth.”
ATTRIBUTES OF THE BOOK
Just as Allah is one God possessing 99 attributes, there is one Book with 33+ attributes of the Book. These are not different books, but are the attributes of the Book (Al Kitab).
Quran – Reading
Torat – Law
Injeel – Good news
Zaboor – Pieces
Furqan – Criterion
Burhan – Proof
Sultan – Authority
Hikmah – Wisdom
Hidaya – Guidance
Noor – Light
Ahsan al Hadeeth – The best narration/event
Ad Dhikr – The remembrance
Al Wah – The tablets
Bayyinat – Clarifications/Explanations
Al Anbaa – Prophecies
Al Ilm – The knowledge
AHLE AL KITAB/POSSESSORS OF THE BOOK
Ahle Al Kitab/Possessors of the Book – Those who have been given the book through which they should take guidance to lead their lives according to the commandments of Allah. We need to understand who these Possessors of the Book are, as described by Allah in the Quran. It is a common belief among ‘Muslims’ that the Possessors of the Book are “Jews and Christians”.
Let’s go through some very clear and significant Ayats of Allah to understand who the actual “Possessors of the Book /Ahle Al Kitab” are.
As mentioned before in my articles, whenever there is “AL” before any word, it signifies its importance, just as “THE” in English. So “Al Kitâb” means “The Book”, in singular. “The Book” means there is only one specific book about which Allah is talking about. Not Books.
Therefore, AHLE AL KITAB are POSSESSORS OF ‘ONE BOOK’!
006:084 “And We granted him (Ibraheem) Ishaaq and Yaqoob, all We guided. And in past we guided Nooh, and from his (Ibraheem) descendants, Dawood and Sulaiman and Ayoob and Yusuf and Moosa and Haroon. And that is how We reward those who excel in good deeds.”
006:085 “And Zakariya and Yahya and Essa and Ilyas, all were from the reformists.”
006:086 “And Ismail and AlYasaa and Yunus and Loot and all We preferred over the worlds.”
006:089 “They were the ones to whom We gave The Book and the Wisdom and the Prophethood. But if these people reject with it (this Book), so certainly, We shall entrust it to people who shall never be rejecters with it.”
• In the above Ayats Allah is mentioning 18 PROPHETS with ONE BOOK having the same message and Laws.
• And all of them were given: The Book (One Book), The Prophet hood and The Wisdom (Same source of Wisdom).
PEOPLE OF THE JEWISH FAITH
004:159 “And there is no one entitled to be a possessor of the Book, unless he believes in it (The book – Quran) before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection it will be a witness against them.“
And there is none from the Possessors of the Book but that he will surely believe in Jesus before Jesus’s death. And on the Day of Resurrection he (Jesus) will be against them a witness. (COMMON PERCEPTION OF THIS AYAT)
• According to the common perception of the Ayat, “Everyone would believe in Jesus before his own death”. Now automatically, Jews are out from the category of the Possessors of the Book, as they do not believe in Jesus, rather they believe in Moosa and even the Bible they read is the Old Testament which they say is from Moosa.
PEOPLE OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH
005:005 “This day, all good foods are made lawful for you foods and the food of those who have been given the Book is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And (lawful in marriage are) chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Book from before you, when you have given them their marriage portions of wealth and property, and live with them in honor, not in fornication, nor as secret lovers. And whoever rejects the belief, then certainly his deeds are wasted and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter.”
• If Christians are Possessors of the Book, then can we eat their food? No, because they are eating swine and drinking alcohol. But the above is allowing us to eat the food of ‘Possessors of the Book’. Therefore Christians cannot be Possessors of the Book.
• Secondly can we marry their women? No, because Christian women are Mushrikeen (one who associates partners with Allah) and in the following Ayat, Allah is commanding us not to marry Mushrikeen.
002:221 “And do not marry mushrik women, until they believe. And a believing maid is better than a Mushrika, even though she may attract you. And do not marry mushrik men until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a mushrik, even though he may attract you. These are those who invite you towards the Fire, and Allah calls you towards the Garden and forgiveness, with His leave. And He makes clear His Ayats for the mankind that perhaps they may remember.”
• This Ayat again is very clear about marrying the women of the Possessors of the Book. And it is generally accepted in our society that we can marry Christians as they are the “Possessors of the Book”. But in 2:221 Allah is clearly stating that we cannot marry a Mushrik or associators until she /he believes (in Oneness of Allah).
• Allah clearly states again and again in his Book not to associate anyone with Him. Allah does not forgive SHIRK .And if we associate anyone with Allah, all our good deeds will be in vain and we will end up in Hell. But Christians are open associators by calling Jesus as son of Allah. So how can we marry a Christian while they are associating Jesus with Allah openly? Therefore, how can they be Possessors of the Book?
019:088) “And they say AlMighty has begotten a son.”
019:089 “Certainly, you claim an atrocious thing!”
019:090 “Whereby the multiverses are almost torn, and the earth is split asunder, and the mountains fall in ruins! “
019:091 “That they ascribe a son to the AlMighty,”
019:092 “And it is not appropriate for the AlMighty to take a son. “
019:093 “There is none in the multiverses and earth but they are subservient to His laws. “
PEOPLE OF THE ISLAMIC FAITH
003:199 “And indeed, among the Possessors of the Book are those who believe in Allah and in what is revealed to you and what was revealed to them, (being) humbly submissive to Allah. They do not exchange the verses of Allah for a small price. There reward is with their Nourisher/Sustainer. Indeed, Allah is swift in taking account.”
This verse clearly tells us that People of the Book believe in what was revealed to Mohammad (Quran).
003:113 “They are not all the same. Among the Possessors of the Book, there is a community which is active during the periods of night, meditating on the Ayats of Allah, and humbly submitting to them (by following the commands).”
• Believe in Allah and Quran and they humble themselves before Allah.
• They meditate and ponder on the Ayats of Allah (Quran) at night (because it is the most peaceful time for understanding anything as one is busy in the day) and then act upon them.
Do Jews and Christians read and believe in Quran?
In the light of all the proofs mentioned above, it becomes clear that the Possessors of the Book are Muslims. There was only ONE revelation to all the prophets of Allah. All the prophets of Allah are of the one and same faith. That is why Allah says: ponder on the Ayats and do not follow the majority as the majority will lead you astray.
042:013 “ He has ordained for you all, the same Judgement of Life that He enjoined upon Nooh. – And We have revealed to you (O Prophet) the same message as We enjoined upon Ibraheem, Moosa, and Eesa: “Establish the Divine System of Life and make no sects in it.” (O Prophet) the unity you call to, it is hard upon the idolaters. Allah draws to Himself everyone who is willing, and guides to Himself everyone who turns to Him for guidance.”
022:078 “And strive hard in the way of Allah, with all the striving that is due to Him. He has chosen you (to carry the message) and has placed no difficulty in the Judgement, the faith of your father Ibraheem. It is He who has named you all, Muslims, in the past and in this, so that the messenger may be a witness over you and you be a witness over mankind. So establish the connection (with Allah) and contribute to purification and hold fast to Allah .He is your protector, so he is the best protector and the best helper.”